Auto accidents occur every hour of every day. They are one of the most common sources of personal injuries. Drivers who are responsible for the accident are liable for any damages, whether that's personal bodily injury or property damage. Insurance payouts that are fair and adequate can cover the costs of some damage, but oftentimes, it's not enough. When it's not enough, you may need a personal injury lawyer who has specific experience with auto accidents.
At Schwartz Law Frim, our auto accident attorney in LA can help you file a solid, well-supported personal injury claim to make sure you receive just and fair compensation. Contact us online or at 5048372263 to schedule a Free about your case today.
Common Auto Accident Injuries in Metairie
Injuries sustained from auto accidents can range anywhere from minor to fatal. The types of immediate bodily injuries that are often involved in personal injury claims include:
- Broken bones
- Lacerations and cuts
- Nerve damage
- Spinal injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Chronic pain.
Any and all of the above injuries can be serious and life-threatening. All bodily injuries regardless of severity are compensable if you are the victim of the accident. In many cases, psychological, mental, and emotional injuries can be compensable, too.
Types of Auto Accidents in LA
The type of injuries you sustain are often the result, in part, of the type of car accident. Most common types of crashes involve the following:
- Head-on collisions, which are among the most devastating types of collisions that result in serious and life-threatening bodily injuries
- Rear-end accidents, which are among the most common and frequently results in whiplash
- Side-impact collisions, which are common, usually occur at intersections and result in a range of injuries depending on where the vehicle was struck
- Roll-over accidents, which are less common but result in head and neck injuries
- Sideswipe accidents, which are less common and occur when two or more vehicles travel parallel with each other and one swipes the side of the other vehicle
- Blind spot accidents, which are less common and occur when one vehicle fails to spot another vehicle while changing or merging into another lane.
Liability for property and bodily damages can often be determined, in part, by the type of accident. It's important to remember, though, that accidents can be complex events, and so though the type may initially and seemingly indicate fault, a thorough investigation must be conducted for a clear understanding of where liability falls.
Common Causes of Auto Accidents in LA
Car accidents happen due to many reasons. Typically, causes can be grouped into three categories: drivers, vehicles, and environment.
- Intoxicated driving (e.g., alcohol, marijuana, prescription drugs, illicit drugs)
- Distracted driving (e.g., eating, texting, disciplining children)
- Drowsy driving or falling asleep while driving
- Speeding or reckless driving
- Decision error (e.g., driving too fast for the conditions, misjudging another driver's actions)
- Recognition error (e.g., inattention)
- Performance error (e.g., overcompensation, poor directional control)
- Manufacture defects
- Slick roads (e.g., ice, loose debris)
- View obstructions
Most crashes are the direct result of one or more drivers. Aside from crashes caused by drivers, vehicles, or environmental conditions, there are other reasons that don't fall within these categories. For instance, pedestrians can sometimes be the cause of an accident. In other circumstances, the cause can't be determined.
When the cause of an auto accident is easily identified, liability will also tend to be easily identifiable. More complex auto accident cases, however, require the insight of an experienced auto accident attorney and the knowledge and expertise of expert witnesses.
Benefits of Filing a Personal Injury Claim in Metairie?
After a car accident, insurance companies will investigate the cause of the wreck to see who was at fault. They will then offer to cover the victim's expenses. Insurance companies, however, are for-profit entities. They make money by bringing in premium payments and increase profit margins by minimizing the amount of money they pay out in settlements.
When an insurance company offers a settlement, that offer may not represent the true amount of compensation a victim deserves. Victims deserve to be compensated for their:
- Medical bills, past and future
- Property damage
- Lost wages, past and future
- Reduced earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- And more.
Frequently, insurance settlement offers only cover property damage and medical bills, and only those that have been incurred so far. Sometimes the settlement will also include lost wages, but again, it may only include the wages lost to date and not necessarily future wages or loss of earned income. Much of it depends on the rules of your jurisdiction.
By hiring a lawyer and pursuing these other forms of compensation, accident victims can fight for what they really deserve.
Contact an Auto Accident Lawyer in LA Today
Auto accidents can be straightforward or complex. Regardless of which, it is in your best interests to speak to an auto accident attorney. At Schwartz Law Frim, we work hard for our clients to obtain fair and just compensation. Contact us using our online form or calling us directly at 5048372263 to schedule a Free today.